A brief introduction to Georgia and Vanessa - The Fit Diabetics
We are two young, energetic, fitness fanatics in our mid-twenties, who both suffer from T1 Diabetes – something that we are both not ashamed to admit.
We were both diagnosed with Diabetes at a very young age, therefore we are completely used to living with the condition, as well as being incredibly accepting of what we are required to do on a daily basis to keep ourselves alive and healthy.
However, we are also aware of how tough living with Diabetes can be, emotionally, physically and psychologically.
But, one thing we have both learnt is that, Diabetes should never stop anyone achieving their goals and living their life to the full.
So what is one thing that makes us angry, the ‘Diabetic’ stereotype of fat, lazy and overweight individuals. This is what pushes us to do what we do, prove people wrong by showing that optimal health and fitness is possible with diabetes.
We are both qualified nutritional advisors/health coaches, with a passion to help, motivate and inspire other diabetics to reach their goals, whether fitness related or not. From personal experiences, we understand that in order to achieve optimal Diabetes control for BOTH T1 and T2 Diabetics, it is vital to:
- Have a healthy, balanced diet
- Participate in regular physical activity
- Maintain a positive mentality
- Participate in beneficial medical regime behaviours
- Seek out effective peer support
This is where we come in.
Using our knowledge, experiences and expertise, we aim to help other diabetics achieve their fitness, health or personal goals, whilst also maintaining stable BG levels and optimum diabetes control. The services we offer include:
- Diabetic specific 1:1 health/weight management coaching
- Gym training plans
- Behaviour modification programmes to improve behaviours such as BG testing, healthy eating, exercise participation, self-monitoring etc.
- A support network where Diabetics can communicate and share experiences, improve their knowledge of the condition, or to just vent their frustration
- Monthly newsletters
It is incredibly important to not let diabetes get in the way of living our lives to the full, regardless of what type of diabetes we may have.
Our aim is to help, encourage, motivate and most importantly inspire others to reach their goals in life.